Monday, June 1, 2009

sew,mama,sew! Blog Questions about my machine...

What brand and model do you have?

I have a Pfaff 1209

How long have you had it?

I think about 15 years. Never used it till about 9 months ago..

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

According to a craiglist add about $200 CAN

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I'm trying a little of everything. Started out with a small quilt about 9 months ago and became so addicted to fabric and designing I'm giving it all a go!

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

Lately every chance I get. My machine was passed on to me and was well used before I got it. It really needs to be serviced properly but I can't part with it...

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I don't really have anything to compare it too, except the Fancy new Bernina I saw at the Quilt store.. wowza! I think all you have to do is tell it to sew and it does it for you ( just kidding) crazy machine! So I would say I like my machine . She hasn't been named as yet...

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

I just found out that this machine was really not made for quilting, more for finer fabrics. It has a built in walking foot, feed dogs drop and 4 extra fancy stitches but that's pretty much it.


Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

It didn't come with a darning foot so I can't learn to stipple. I'm on the hunt for one if it can be found...

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

It was passed on to me by my father when he was ready for a new one. He was a clothing designer in Calgary. I think one day I may buy another machine but sewing on his brings back nice memories. I think back when I was a teenager how he wanted me to learn to sew and I wanted nothing to do with it... ahh silly girl I was!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

I would recommend it if it came with all the feet you might need. It's been great for me so far but again I'm really a beginner.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

I'm hoping I will find the answer to that in this Q & A .

Do you have a dream machine?

I really don't at the moment.. the fancy Bernina at the quilt shop, maybe but $3500 big ones for a newbie like me... Should I buy a Pfaff or Bernina or who knows what and why?


No comments:

Post a Comment